What is a testicle lump?
A testicle lump will feel like an abnormal 3-D mass within the testicles. If the lump comes with other symptoms such as pain, redness, and swelling, then you might be having an infection. If the lump is the only symptom present, it might be a result of mass formation, inflammation, or injury.
- Inguinal hernias: These occur when there is a portion of the intestines pushing through the gap or a weak area of tissue separating the groin and the abdomen. The hernia can appear like a lump or mass and will be felt in the scrotum or in the upper part of the groin.
- Testicular cancer: This will appear as a tumor. The lump will be in the scrotum and can cause swelling or pain occasionally. It is is a rare condition and mostly affects young men between the 15 and 35 years.
- Hydrocele: This condition causes an accumulation of excess fluid in the spaces between the layers that surround the testicles.this accumulation can cause swelling, redness, pain and is as a result of infections or injury.
- Varicoceles: These are enlarged veins that are located next to the spermatic cord. The condition is usually painless but can lead to problems with sperm production and in rare situations, infertility since the veins can constrict the spermatic cord.
- Spermatoceles: These are cysts that appear on the epididymis. The cysts are benign and are sacs full of fluid and are not painful unless they have an infection.
Some of these conditions could be serious which is why you need to have any lump or swelling checked by a doctor. If it’s testicular cancer, an early detection goes a long way in making sure the condition is managed better or cured.
- “Testicular lumps and swellings.” NHS Inform. https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/sexual-and-reproductive/testicular-lumps-and-swellings
- “Testicle lump.” Medline Plus. U.S. National Library of Medicine. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003162.htm
- “How do I know if I have testicular cancer?” Planned Parenthood. https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/cancer/testicular-cancer/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-testicular-cancer
- The American Cancer Society medical and editorial content team. “Signs and Symptoms of Testicular Cancer.” American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/testicular-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html